when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

Laurent Pointal laurent.pointal at limsi.fr
Mon Feb 5 11:07:15 EST 2007

Jean-Paul Calderone a écrit :
> On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:19:26 +0100, Laurent Pointal
> <laurent.pointal at limsi.fr> wrote:
>> tleeuwenburg at gmail.com a écrit :
>>> When they have to ...
>>>
>>> One of the big things about Python is that its penetration slows it
>>> down. There's more legacy code and interdependant systems around now
>>> that Python is more successful and more mature.
>>>
>>> Here's a thought -- perhaps it would be worth having some good ways to
>>> interact with Python from Python. Suppose you have some 2.4 code
>>> someplace, interacting with your mysqldb or whatever, and you don't
>>> want to rewrite it. So long as you have some kind of object broker,
>>> you could (plausibly) leave your 2.4 apps running with the old
>>> interpreter, but wrap them for Python 2.5 and use that in your new
>>> development.
>>
>> KISS please.
>>

> Requiring change is simpler than not requiring change?
> Okay, perhaps
> you could make a case, but it's far from obvious this is always true.

IMHO trying to have a binary compatibility with older compiled modules
by maintaining an ad-hoc layer to switch between 2.4/2.5 engines make
Python code more complex. And more complex code have generally more
bugs. This is the reason for my KISS hope about Python.

Its simple to require changes, not so sure that doing these
modifications keep things simple. Maybe an internal Python hacker can
give us his advice on such a modification (ie. staying compatible with
legacy modules compiled for previous versions).

A+

Laurent.