when will python 2.5 take in mainstream?

Jean-Paul Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Mon Feb 5 09:18:45 EST 2007

On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 10:19:26 +0100, Laurent Pointal <laurent.pointal at limsi.fr> wrote:
>tleeuwenburg at gmail.com a écrit :
>> When they have to ...
>>
>> One of the big things about Python is that its penetration slows it
>> down. There's more legacy code and interdependant systems around now
>> that Python is more successful and more mature.
>>
>> Here's a thought -- perhaps it would be worth having some good ways to
>> interact with Python from Python. Suppose you have some 2.4 code
>> someplace, interacting with your mysqldb or whatever, and you don't
>> want to rewrite it. So long as you have some kind of object broker,
>> you could (plausibly) leave your 2.4 apps running with the old
>> interpreter, but wrap them for Python 2.5 and use that in your new
>> development.
>
>KISS please.

Requiring change is simpler than not requiring change?  Okay, perhaps
you could make a case, but it's far from obvious this is always true.

>> Ditto 3.0.
>>
>> Rather than having to re-write every interacting component, maybe it
>> could be straightforward to all Python2.4 from Python2.5 to execute
>> particular library calls. I'm not an expert, I don't know how you'd
>> build such a system, but I do know that re-writing stuff is a real
>> pain.
>
>Most of Python 2.4 source code is compatible with Python 2.5. Problems
>come with native compiled modules, you must have those for you 2.X
>Python version - some times just a compilation is enough.

Do you have any data to actually back this assertion up?  I have plenty
of evidence to the contrary.

>For Python 3.0, AFAIK its a big rewrite and developers know that it will
>be uncompatible in large parts with existing code.

How does knowing that it will not be compatible have any bearing on the
arguments made by the original poster?  It doesn't change anything, as
far as I can tell.