Python does not play well with others

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Fri Feb 2 17:52:25 EST 2007

> I do think the core should have more stuff than it does, so that its
> functionality can be on a par with competing language distros like
> J2SE and PHP.  Both of those distros include database connectvity
> modules and web frameworks.

This is simply not true. J2SE doesn't include a web-framework. J2EE
does, but it's a separate multi-megabyte-download.

PHP _is_ a web centered language, so to say it "includes" a webframework
sounds odd to me.

And _both_ of them don't contain DB connectivity modules! J2SE has JDBC
- which is just a bunch of interfaces. You need to download each and
every driver. Python has DB API, and because it isn't statically typed,
you just download a compliant driver/implementation.

And PHP - well, it hasn't even modules at all. Yes, there are DB
connectors for the important DBs. But for example on debian, you don't
get ORACLE, as they can't ship the needed libs. So you end up compiling
it yourself.

To conclude: given that easy_install stands up to it's promise IMHO, I'm
pretty happy with the batteries included.

Diez