python 3.0, pywin32 and scipy

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Thu Aug 2 19:46:54 EDT 2007

On Aug 2, 10:53 pm, vml <victor.leb... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope it will be possible to switch easily to python 3. But I need to
> produce something as cheap as possible and I have no means ...

Python 3k is not released yet. Why do you worry about compatibility in
advance? Well, you are not the only one. I've heard this argument
before, that's why I bother to write this response.

Python 2.x will continue to work even after Python 3k is released.
There will also be future releases of Python 2.x.

Visual Basic .NET is not backwards compatible with VB6. But that does
not stop you form using VB6 even today. VB6 is soon 10 years old, it
was released in 1998. "Mainstream support" for VB6 ended on March 31,
2005. Extended support will end in March 2008. With Python 2.x this
even less troublesome as the source code is available  - it can be
recompiled when needed! You cannot recompile VB6, still it lasted 10
years. If you can use VB6 ten years, you can use Python 2.x at least
twice that long. That will give you twenty years to port your
application to a newer version of Python. But then you probably don't
care. I am sure the packages you mentioned will be ready for Python 3k
by then.

NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, etc. will be ported to Python 3k in due
time. The Pywin32 code is autogenerated with SWIG. When support for
Python 3k is added to SWIG (yes it will happen), there will be a
Pywin32 for Python 3k as well.

You don't have to fix something that works. Python 2.5.1 is what we
have today, use it as much as you can.