Getting Stack Trace on segfault

rocky.bernstein at gmail.com rocky.bernstein at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 22:49:08 EDT 2007

On Apr 6, 8:13 am, James Stroud <jstr... at mbi.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> The built-in mac osx vecLib is segfaulting in some cases--A very fun
> fact to find out the hard way over two nights of work. I also spent an
> embarrassing amount of time figuring out just where. Although I'm in
> quite a self-congratulatory mood right now, in the future, I feel like I
> could save a lot of time by coercing the interpreter to spew forth
> method calls to stderr. Is this possible?
>
> I would hope to produce something hauntingly reminiscent of
>
> [] my_function
> [my_function] another_function
> [my_function -> another_function] yet_a_deeper_function
>
> Presentation, of course, is irrelevant.
>
> I read the docs onpdb, but it did not seem to do what I want--unless,
> of course, I missed something.
>
> James

pydb (http://bashdb.sf.net0 has the ability to do noninteractive line
tracing.  See http://bashdb.sourceforge.net/pydb/pydb/lib/subsubsection-set.html
or the showmedo demo. It would be kind of neat to extend this to allow
for method/fn tracing. Alas the simple hack I tried, didn't work
because of code obscurities. (The code could stand to use a rewrite.)