Custom Python Runtime

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sat Apr 7 04:12:49 EDT 2007

On Apr 7, 1:52 am, "Jack" <nos... at invalid.com> wrote:
> Since the full installation of Python (from either the standard installer or
> ActiveState installer) is too big for my intended use, I'd like to build a
> custom distribution of Python for Windows platform, omitting some lib files,
> such as audio, tk, printing, testing units, etc.
>
> Is there a way to customize the Windows build? In my case, there is no need
> to build an installer. The best way is to have everything in a directory, as
> long as I know where to find Python and Python knows where to find the
> necessary libs. Any online docs describing this? Thanks!

In principle it suffices to drop in just the pythonxx.dll. If you want
to isolate those scripts and additional libraries your project
requires you might try out the py2exe even when you don't finally plan
to deliver an executable. py2exe factors and copies everything needed
for a complete application. For builds you can comment out includes in
the header file python.h but this won't usually buy you that much.