Custom Python Runtime

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 7 05:29:54 EDT 2007

> Is there a way to customize the Windows build? In my case, there is no need
> to build an installer. The best way is to have everything in a directory, as
> long as I know where to find Python and Python knows where to find the
> necessary libs. Any online docs describing this? Thanks!

The interpreter will search for its libraries relative to the location
of the .exe file. So if you place python.exe and pythonxy.dll into
a directory, you need to add a Lib directory

Inside Lib, the minimum file you need to have is os.py: Python will
use it as a landmark. If you run 'python.exe -S', this is all
you need.

If you want site.py to work, you also need (tested for 2.4):
- site, codecs, copy_reg, locale, ntpath, stat, types UserDict,
  encodings/__init__, encodings/aliases

If you eliminate the aliasmbcs function from site.py, you can drop
codecs, locale, encodings/*.

If you eliminate the copy_reg references from os.py, you can also drop
copy_reg.

HTH,
Martin