Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Apr 20 03:21:21 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-19, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> [...]  The

>>> Perhaps in Belgium they prefer climbing mountains over walking up and
>>> down gentle hills? Or possibly they will simply pick any nit that is
>>> carelessly left within range?
>>
>> If it is just a nit, why don't you ignore my remark as I suggested?
>>
> Because I suffer from the quixotic urge to help stamp out obsessive
> compulsive behavior on c.l.py? This is self-defeating, of course, since
> it makes me appear obsessive compulsive in my own right ...
>
>> Now suppose I give you a graph that shows you how different people
>> are making progress. Would you prefer the rather flat curves instead
>> of the steep curves because the latter gives you the idea of someone
>> having to conquer huge obstacles or would you choose the steep curve
>> because they show you someone is getting results fast?
>>
> Suppose I should you a hill you have to climb? Would you rather don
> mountain boots and crampons to climb 3,000 feet up a vertical cliff or
> would you rather amble up, say, Ben Lomond with the other tourists?

So if you have the choice between a steep or a shalow income curve
you will prefer the shalow curve because a steep curve makes you
think about verticale clifs and such?

The analogy with a walk is just silly because curves are not like walks.
Nobody will say something like: I won't invest in that company because
it has a steep profit curve or the reverse: I'll invest in this company
because it has an easy looking downhill going profit curve.

> Clearly you have no wish to bow before common usage. be careful this
> doesn't put you in a universe with only one inhabitant. We all have to
> get along.

Indeed I have no wish to bow before common usage. I prefer to think
about things and dare to speak out when they don't seem to make sense.

Just repeating common usage propagates a lot of nonsense.