Do other Python GUI toolkits require this?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 06:24:48 EDT 2007

On 20 Apr, 09:21, Antoon Pardon <apar... at forel.vub.ac.be> wrote:

> Indeed I have no wish to bow before common usage.

Then nobody will understand you properly if you start referring to a
"steep learning curve" when in their terminology you actually mean a
"shallow learning curve". Certainly, this discussion has alerted me to
a level of ambiguity with the term that would dissuade me from using
it, but then it's a hand-waving kind of term, anyway, which would be
better replaced with a proper description of whatever effect is
supposed to be observable.

It seems to me that the original term isn't directly applicable to
most situations where it is applied in general usage. For example,
someone talking about the learning curve involved in riding a bicycle
is taking a term originally used to describe effects observed when
people carry out the same task repeatedly and applying it to an
activity which involves a number of different cooperating tasks or
processes.

> I prefer to think about things and dare to speak out when they don't seem to make sense.
>
> Just repeating common usage propagates a lot of nonsense.

Languages and their constituent parts change over time. Here's a
relevant article on the topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usage.english/msg/face58f687589a6c

Paul