does anybody earn a living programming in python?

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 16:43:24 EDT 2006

Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> walterbyrd wrote:
> > If so, I doubt there are many.
> >
> > I wonder why that is?
> >
> I've now used Python in every job I've had for the last 10 years.
> Started off with web-sites for a few months, then writing
> VRML-processing libraries to piece together and massage virtual worlds
> (not a *lot* of jobs there).  After that worked on a piece of
> Cable-system SNMP monitoring software (again, not a *lot* of jobs in
> that).  After that billing/provisioning systems for VoIP (you really
> only need one).  The last two companies (one of which I own, one in
> which I was a partner) were python-only shops.
>
> PyGTA (Toronto Python User's Group), which is a fairly large user-group,
> seems to be about 60% (off-the-cuff estimate) paid Pythonistas, with
> some people picking it up for filling in corners and others spending all
> day working on it.
[snip..]

I've only been to a couple of the London Python groups, but the ratio
is a *bit* lower. Maybe 50%.

In London you get people from Resolver, Reportlab and Jamkit (Zope) who
use Python. Simon Brunning is a Pythonista in his spare time but uses
Java at work. He has got Jython fairly deeply embedded though.

Fuzzyman