does anybody earn a living programming in python?

Andy Dingley dingbat at codesmiths.com
Tue Sep 26 18:31:53 EDT 2006

walterbyrd wrote:

> If so, I doubt there are many.

I currently earn my living "programming in Python".

This is particularly amusing given that it's a Java shop and I don't
even know Python!

I've only been using it for a few months as a replacement for the
previous shell scripts and instead of Perl (which I know, but never
liked). I'm nominally the "release manager" which is half tiresome
monkey work and half is building vast Python-powered scripts to
automate the aforementioned monkey work. I don't think I've written
more than a line of actual Java since I've been there.

One thing is sure though - I wouldn't have been _recruited_ as a Python
coder. Supposedly they hired me on the strength of all-round experience
and as a Java hack.