XPN 0.6.5 released

Franz Steinhaeusler franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at
Sun Sep 17 12:10:38 EDT 2006

Nemesis wrote:

Hello Nemesis,

this I post with XPN! ;)

> Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhäusler" scriveva:

>>>Here is working fine.
>> I am on windows, is there maybe a difference (?).
>
> I don't think so, I use XPN alo on Win2000 and WinXP and this shortcut
> works fine on Windows too.

Ok.

> [threading]
>> Aha, I don't understand all the details anyway, in Forte the same
>> thread was ordered in.
>
> The References header contains the Message-id of the article as they
> appear in the thread, the last message-id in the references field is the
> message-id of the parent article.
> In-Reply-To is similar ... but it contains only the message-id of the
> parent article, it is not a standard usenet header it is used by
> mail-agents.
> I use only References to build threads ... maybe Agent uses also
> In-Reply-To.

Ok.

>>>It's a focus issue, in the search dialog the focus is set on the entry.
>>>The Esc key is not binded to any button by default.
>> That would be convenient, pressing "Enter" to perform the awaited
>> process and cancel to abandon the dialogue.
>
> But in the search dialog before you start the search you have to write
> what you are searching ... so the software must be set on the entry.

Ack.

>> If you don't mind, I will make a thorough test :-)
>> I don't want to bother more than necessary.
>> I want to make it happen, that XPN will be my "default" Newsreader!!!
>> Many thanks again for your answers and this wonderful piece of
>> sofware!
>
> Thank you for your suggestions.

you'r welcome.

Again a few points! ;)

I managed it to get it run again. ;)

My next try was a second newsserver.
(It would be nice to have it in one installation,
but priority is not so high)

I have XPN in one directorry (for my default newsserver)
and I installed XPN in a second directory for Gmane.

--

A user defineable Title bar as in Agent would be good.
(Then I could name the first instance "My News" or so, and the

--

I find it useful in every program to have accelerator keys for
buttons, radio boxes, ...; this means for example the underscor letter

--

The line spacing (vertically) in the header is a little higher than in wxPython programs
or also in Forte agent. I suspect, this is a "feature" in PyGtk.

--

Is Saving attachments possible? I didn't see a menu point, nor are the threads
are marked, having an attachment.

--
An option to set X-No Archive default in the subscribed groups would be nice.

--

Only an open thought:

I (am/was) a member of the python editor DrPython written in wxPython.
(Project is on the sourceforge page).
I contributed some plugins for that, and I like the idea very much.
The core of the program remains relativly small, and all the users can
extend the program.
The author do not have to fulfil all feature requests in the core,
and can tell the users to extend the functionality with a plugin
himself, or can assist him.
And aside from writing plugins, I enjoyed.
We have an repository of the plugins and there are far more than 10 available.
Would such an idea make sense for XPN?

XPN seems pretty stable and I enjoy this program more and more!

Cheers,

--
Franz Steinhaeusler