[ANN] XPN 0.6.5 released

Franz Steinhaeusler franz.steinhaeusler at gmx.at
Fri Sep 15 06:09:49 EDT 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:36:01 GMT, Nemesis <nemesis at nowhere.invalid>
wrote:

>Mentre io pensavo ad una intro simpatica "Franz Steinhaeusler"
>scriveva:
>
>>>XPN (X Python Newsreader) is a multi-platform newsreader with Unicode
>[...]

Hello Nemesis,

>> Hello Nemesis,
>> that is a great program, thank you.
>
>Thanks.

you're welcome.

>> I will try to use it and also attempt to
>> customize it, so that it works like forte agent.
>> <ironic>Even better would it be to have it in wxPython</ironic>
>
>I disagree :-D

He he :)

>> Some little points:
>>
>> There is no progress bar or other info, if I subscribe one list.
>> There is a little in the lower left corner, but if a lot of headers
>> and bodies are received, the program seems to hang.
>> I actually killed it, because I thought that hanging.
>
>XPN is monothreaded, so when it is downloading the headers (it is a
>monolotic job) the progress bar can't be updated.
>
>> It would be nice, if I click on the groups pane another group,
>> the messages appear immediatly, without needing to double click the
>> group.
>
>You can configure this behaviour, in the Configure Window go to
>"Misc"->"Miscellaneous" and you'll find two check buttons
>One Click Enter Group
>One Click Enter Article

Thanks, this is quite useful.

>> When composing messages, the tab size is 8. It would be nice to
>> have the possibility to adjust this size.
>
>Hmm, it is a GTK default I don't know if I can change it, I'll check it.

Not so important.

A few other notes (or should I post into the feature requests on
sourceforge?)

little point: I find it superfluos on the header pane, to always have
the term "Re:" before (it would probaly easier to read without this
text).

an option possibly (as in agent): if you click on the tree the "+" sign,
it would be more convenient (for me) to open *all* subbranches, this
means show all responses headers for this thread.

if you change the groups, it would be nice to remember the position of
the last readed thread in the header pane, which means changing forth
and back to a certain group (as option for example).