Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need tobe?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Wed Sep 13 04:44:11 EDT 2006

Delaney, Timothy (Tim) wrote:
> Antoon Pardon wrote:
>

>>This is just an idea of mine, nothing I expect python to adapt.
>>But just suppose the language allowed for words in bold. A word
>>in bold would be considered a reserved word, a word in non bold
>>would be an identifier.
>

> Exactly how am I supposed to use my text editor to make words bold? Is
> every text editor supposed to understand a "python format" for code?
>
> Besides, I don't like bold for keywords (or anything in code) - I like
> my keywords blue (RGB 0, 0, 255). Of course, with a "python format", I
> could make *my* keywords blue. But I can pretty much guarantee that my
> preferred editor will not ever understand "python format".

This would take us back to the days of Algol 60, where keywords could
either be "stropped" (with single quotes, IIRC) or in some
implementations underlined. I believe that Flexowriters had an underline
key that didn't move the carriage, but it's all a long time ago now.

But I guess we could use the dollar sign to indicate keywords without
requiring too much of people's editors.

$class$ sample1
	$def$ __init__(self, a, b):
		self.a = a
		self.b = b
	$def$ __cmp__(self, other):
		$return$ self.a.__cmp__(other.a)

Don't see *that* catching on, though ...

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119