Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need tobe?

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Thu Sep 14 05:41:15 EDT 2006

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 07:45:02 +0000, Antoon Pardon wrote:

>>> This is just an idea of mine, nothing I expect python to adapt.
>>> But just suppose the language allowed for words in bold. A word
>>> in bold would be considered a reserved word, a word in non bold
>>> would be an identifier.

[snip]

> <Shrug>, Different options are possible, in a file the keywords
> could just be prefixed with a Ctrl-K, and depending on the editor or its
> setting, this could be shown bold or blue or whatever. I don't care
> about the specifics at this point. I just wanted to make clear there
> is the option to make/show the distiction between identifiers and keywords
> more explicitly.

But surely all you are doing is changing the reserved word from (say)
"return" to "\x0breturn". Once you do that, you can bet that people will
complain that they want to have identifiers in bold too, why can't they
create a name "\x0breturn", and somebody will come up with an even more
complicated scheme for accommodating them... wash, rinse, repeat.

--
Steven D'Aprano