Are Python's reserved words reserved in places they dont need tobe?

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Wed Sep 13 06:49:48 EDT 2006

On 2006-09-13, Diez B. Roggisch <deets at nospam.web.de> wrote:
>>> Exactly how am I supposed to use my text editor to make words bold? Is
>>> every text editor supposed to understand a "python format" for code?
>>
>> The standard answer here to people complaining about their editor not
>> working well with python is that they should use a better editor.
>
> In general, that is true for the 21st century. But under certain
> circumstances, one might be forced to use a vi over a limited b/w terminal
> to fix that goddamn bug on the live system.

AFAIR, even those terminals had a form of highlighting. And personnaly
I would think PEP 0263 would be potentially more annoying than this
idea in those circumstances.

> Even though you don't care about the pesky details, it boils down to
> introducing an escape mechanism that will surround whatever identifiers
> there are. Which looks crap in anything except and python-aware editor.
>
> But I bet you don't work with e.g. subversion to display diffs and the
> like...

I wouldn't be surprised that looking at diffs from files that use
PEP 0263 could look like crap too. Yes some decisions can cause
some tools to be less usefull. I would say that the right cause
of action is then to adapt those tools. Not to let something like
that stop your decision.

--
Antoon Pardon