Tkinter--does anyone use it for sophisticated GUI development?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Fri Oct 20 01:43:15 EDT 2006

Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Coming from Tcl/Tk, where there are a huge number of extension packages
> to enhance the Tk widgets and which allow you to make really polished
> GUI's, I'm struck mainly by how little of this stuff has made it over
> into Tkinter/Python. For instance, I've developed several Tcl
> applications that use the core Tk widgets, the Tile theming package, the
> Bwidget set (great tree widget and listbox, which allows you to embed
> images), and tablelist (an extremely flexible muti-column listbox
> display). I've found Python wrappers for some of this stuff, but almost
> no documentation on how to use them, and very little in the way of
> actual applications making use of them--which is itself a red flag.

on the other hand, such wrappers are usually extremely simple, and the
mapping between Python and Tk is trivial.  there's simply not much to
add to the existing Tk module docs.

> Am I better off biting the bullet and learning wxPython--a different GUI
> paradigm to go with the new language I'm trying to learn?

that's almost designed to get "wx rul3z d00d" replies from the wx crowd.
  let's see if they bite.

 > What do other Tkinter developers think?

"Those people who have nothing better to do than post on the Internet
all day long are rarely the ones who have the most insights"

if you want to reach Tkinter developers, the following forum might be
more appropriate: