Tkinter--does anyone use it for sophisticated GUI development?

Kevin Walzer kw at kevin-walzer.com
Fri Oct 20 09:47:21 EDT 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> on the other hand, such wrappers are usually extremely simple, and the
> mapping between Python and Tk is trivial.  there's simply not much to
> add to the existing Tk module docs.

I think I might simply have to bite the bullet, actually use some of
these documented wrappers, perhaps even tweak/improve them, and then
release something that shows what's possible with them. And perhaps even
write up some "user-friendly" docs.  :-)

>> Am I better off biting the bullet and learning wxPython--a different GUI
>> paradigm to go with the new language I'm trying to learn?
>
> that's almost designed to get "wx rul3z d00d" replies from the wx crowd.
>  let's see if they bite.

That certainly wasn't my intention.

>> What do other Tkinter developers think?
>
> "Those people who have nothing better to do than post on the Internet
> all day long are rarely the ones who have the most insights"
>
> if you want to reach Tkinter developers, the following forum might be
> more appropriate:

> that list is more focussed on solving specific problems, though; Tkinter
> developers just don't seem very interested in arguments about world
> domination.  guess we've inherited that from the Tcl world, or maybe
> we're just too busy doing stuff ;-)

I subscribe to that list. I agree that this particular question is
off-topic for that list.

By way of clarification, one of the things I have in mind in terms of
"sophisticated GUI's" can be found on these pages at the Tcl'ers wiki:

http://wiki.tcl.tk/13636

This page is focused on Tcl/Tk apps using the Tile extension, but many
of these apps also use extensions like Tablelist and Tktreectrl. I
haven't seen any shiny screenshots of Python apps using these extensions
yet.

Another example, that doesn't use Tile, is PgAccess:

http://www.pgaccess.org/index.php?page=NewPgAccessEnglish

This app makes use of BWidgets and Tablelist, in particular, to good
effect.

This gives you some idea of the target I'm aiming at, anyway.

--
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code