Tkinter--does anyone use it for sophisticated GUI development?

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Sat Oct 21 13:20:08 EDT 2006

Eric_Dexter at msn.com wrote:

> pygtk can be a pain to install and some of the librarys that are built
> on top of it have copyrights and such.  apple for the fonts and there
> is one for the images.  It also can be a pain to install..  It would be
> nice to see it as a low cost comercial package that is already put
> together say $20 or so then to try to workout a distribution for some
> of that.

On Windows, there are two installers you need to download: One for
PyGTK and one for GLADE + the GTK runtime. Double-click on the
installers and wheeey ... everything works.

http://www.mapr.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/pygtk.html
http://gladewin32.sourceforge.net/modules/news/

If you cannot make this work, your computer skills are at level that
makes me amazed that you have any use for a programming language...

> (but then I believe apple should buy borland).  I think
> sci-pi (If I have the name right) would be a very good platform to
> extend gtk.  A) it is well documentated B) they made it as easy as
> possible to install.  pywin might have some acess to graphics but it is
> windows only and the documentation is sparce.

SciPy is a toolset for scientific programming in Python. It does not
contain any graphics stuff. SciPy depends on NumPy (formerly SciPy
core), which is the "bleeding edge" package for numerical programming
in Python. If you need to scientific datavisualization in Python, you
should take a look at Matplotlib, which also depends on NumPy.
Matplotlib can use a number of backends for displaying graphs,
including PyGTK. I routinely use Matplotlib to draw graphs in my PyGTK
apps on MS Windows. This jus requires two or three installs: NumPy,
Matplotlib and (optionally) SciPy. But you don't need this packages
unless you are doing heavy scientific or numeric programming.