Book about database application development?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu Oct 19 06:29:00 EDT 2006

Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On 18 Oct 2006 02:20:15 -0700, "Paul Boddie" <paul at boddie.org.uk>
> >
> > Aren't we going round in circles here? There presumably are grid
>
>  Possibly -- it was the fairly recent lamentation about Delphi that
> made me think the initial desire had been for some such "automatic"
> linkage between GUI and database that would have been preferred...

I think it's about finding the right level: the stated toolkits (Kiwi,
Thyme, GNUe, TinyERP) are probably quite high-level or mix in various
application-specific bonus material, and perhaps a fairly elementary
datagrid widget is what is being sought.

> > widgets connected to database tables/views/cursors, if only exposed via
> > user interface toolkits and other frameworks such as PyQt, Dabo and so
> > on, but I thought the questioner wanted to know how to implement these
> > things from the ground up.
> >
> ... lacking such automation, a search for books on how to do this was
> next. But given so many combinations of toolkits, I didn't think a
> general (cookbook?) solution would be available.

True. Still, I can only point to things which might provide useful
building blocks in developing some of the solutions mentioned above.
For example, PyQt's QSqlRelationalTableModel and QTableView might be
acceptable building blocks:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Docs/PyQt4/html/qsqlrelationaltablemodel.html

See here for Python-based examples:

http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDisplay.py?contribId=33&sessionId=41&confId=44

I'm sure other people can provide links to resources for other toolkits
and frameworks.

Paul