distutils

Dan Crosta dcrosta at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue May 9 11:06:33 EDT 2006

David S. wrote:
> Thank you.  This introduces a new problem for me.  I have other scripts that I
> want to install likewise.  But now I have to overwrite setup.py for each install.
>
> Alternatively, I can create script1setup.py, script2setup.py, etc.  That would
> be fine except that there are other files, ie. MANIFEST.IN and README, that need
> to be there too.  I have not found a way to similarly rename these.
>
> Finally, it seems odd that I should have so many XXXsetup.py scripts in my
> package root directory.

I don't understand -- you can install multiple scripts with a single
setup.py. Do you want finer-grained control over which are installed by
a single invocation of setup.py? In that case, you should re-read the
distutils docs about sub-classing portions of the setup process. The
documentation for the Python 2.4.2 distribution is more complete than in
2.3.5.

dsc