Error : 10053, 'Software caused connection abort'

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed May 10 08:33:52 EDT 2006

C Saha wrote:

> I have a mail function in my pythin code and seems like due to that
> I am getting this error when ever I am running the pythin code. Any
> idea, how to resolve this?
>
>  Error is = (10053, 'Software caused connection abort')

if you remove the "catch all and don't tell me what really happened" error
handling you're using, you'll notice that Python provides a lot more information
than you got -- including the exact line in your program that caused this error.

you'll find that it's a lot easier to debug stuff if you know *where* things go wrong,
and it's a lot easier to help you debug stuff if you don't leave out crucial information.

try replacing

    except Exception, ex:
        print ex

with

    except Exception:
        import traceback
        traceback.print_exc() # print full traceback

once you've done that, look at the traceback to see if you can figure out what's
happening, and make sure that the SMTP server you've specified does exist, and
accepts connections from your machine.

</F>