Python Programming Books?

Wed May 24 10:50:08 EDT 2006

vbgunz wrote:
> Learning Python by Mark Lutz will be the most perfect book to get you
> started! Perhaps there are others aimed at the non-programmer but after
> getting through that book (2 times) I finally left it with wings... It
> is a great book for the n00b in my humble opinion. After that, you'll
> pretty much start flying higher on your own as long as you always keep
> the python docs handy along with the addresses to comp.lang.python and
> it's IRC channel #python on irc.freenode.net...
>
> Good luck, welcome to Python!

I second this opinion completely. Use this book to start with! It is a
wonderful intro to the language and will give you a solid foundation.

As for waiting for a 3rd edition, don't do it! If you're like me, you'll
want the latest there is, so I was tempted to start with something newer
too (since this book covers up to 2.2), but honestly it covers
everything you need to know. There are maybe two or three new additions
that you can read about elsewhere, but Learning Python is THE book to
start with, IMO.

Get it now! :)