Tabs are EVIL *and* STUPID, end of discussion. (Re: Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code)

Andy Sy andy at neotitans.com
Wed May 17 12:21:01 EDT 2006

Sybren Stuvel wrote:

>> then WHAT THE HECK do you need to use tab characters in the source
>> code for anyway (besides saving a measly few bytes) ??!?
>
> To separate layout (how much indentation is used) from semantics (how
> many intentation levels).

Like I said, you'll *NEVER* get that fancy shmancy 'semantic indentation'
idea to work properly in the most basic utilities which have the 8-space tabs
assumption hardcoded in them.

Code with anything other than 8-space tabs will *NEVER* display
properly using everyday unix utilities such as less and cat.  But then,
8-space tabs are just too wide to be practical, thus the simple
conclusion I have reached: JUST STOP USING THEM.

Heck, all those who actually believe that make's requirement of an
invisible tab as a 'semantic' marker was a good idea raise their
hands...!  <rolling-eyes-to-high-heaven>

>> Tab characters are EVIL *AND* STUPID.
>
> And someone who needs to resort to all-caps words (which many consider
> shouting) needs to relax and use proper arguments.

I know when I'll be able to relax... when I no longer need to waste time
dealing with those stupid tabs in source code!!!

;-)