data entry tool

Serge Orlov Serge.Orlov at gmail.com
Wed May 10 09:29:10 EDT 2006

Peter wrote:
> Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> > Make it a webapp. That will guarantee to make it runnable on the list of
> > OSses you gave. Use Django/TurboGears/ZOPE for the application itself-
> > whichever suits you best.
>
> A webapp isn't feasible as most of the users are on dial up (this is in New
> Zealand and broadband isn't available for lots of people).

I don't see connection here, why it's not feasible?

> I was hoping for a simple tool.  Even if it only worked on Windows, it would
> be a start.  It just needs to present a form of text entry fields to the
> user, and place the data in a plain text file.

You can do it using for example Tkinter
<http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter> that comes with python
distribution for windows.

> If python can't do this, can anyone suggest another language or approach?

Sure you can code that application in Python, the problem is
distribution and support of application running on multiple platforms.
That's what webapp will help you to avoid. Keep in mind that standalone
application for windows will be about 2Mb. Keep also in mind linux is
not a platform, it is hmm, how to say it? a snapshot of random programs
found on internet, so it's very hard to distribute and support programs
for it.