What's the best way to learn perl for a python programmer?

gene tani gene.tani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 10:56:00 EST 2006

vj wrote:
> I've been given a project which requires writing scripts that need to
> be run on over 3000 servers. Only about 15% of them have python
> installed on them. While all/most of them will have perl.
>
> I'll try and do as much as possible in pexpect but am sure I'll have do
> some significant perl. Any suggestions on what is the best way to get
> upto speed on perl?

There's lots of resources on the web, like
http://llama.med.harvard.edu/~fgibbons/PerlPythonPhrasebook.html
http://perl.active-venture.com/Porting/pumpkin-gotchas.html

Maybe get 1 or 2 books, recommended:
Perl Debugged (scott/wright)
Effective Perl (Hall/ Schwartz)
Debugging Perl (brown)

o-o perl books (really well-written but I'm not going to represent that
these books are easy to read),
O-O Perl (Conway)
Learnign Perl O-O (Randall schwartz)