What's the best way to learn perl for a python programmer?

Jorge Godoy godoy at ieee.org
Fri Mar 24 10:22:34 EST 2006

"vj" <vinjvinj at gmail.com> writes:

> I've been given a project which requires writing scripts that need to
> be run on over 3000 servers. Only about 15% of them have python
> installed on them. While all/most of them will have perl.
>
> I'll try and do as much as possible in pexpect but am sure I'll have do
> some significant perl. Any suggestions on what is the best way to get
> upto speed on perl?

Writing to c.l.perl is a good start...

Perl has very good docs.  IMHO, they're better than Python's, specially for
the examples.

Also, starting with a book like "Learning Perl" is not bad and it might save
you a lot of time with the basics and the semantics of the language.

c.l.perl is very receptive and helpful.

--
Jorge Godoy      <godoy at ieee.org>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.