Uninstalling Python

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Wed Mar 29 20:37:31 EST 2006

"Pete" <pete at nospam.net> writes:

> I googled "python" and have no interest in it and know nothing about it.
>
> Therefore, I would like to uninstall  both the versions since I do not
> believe I need them.  Would it be okay to uninstall them or would you
> recommend that I keep them even though I will probably never use them (ie
> for the future just in case).

It should be okay to uninstall *any* software on your system if you
believe you don't want it.

If you don't have a system that defaults to removing software without
checking if other packages depend on it, I'd hope you have stern words
to say to your operating system vendor and seek out more user-friendly
operating systems.

On the other hand, if packaged programs depend on other packages but
don't use the operating system package manager to declare this, those
programs are poorly packaged.

In short: it's your computer. We hope you'll one day be interested
enough in Python to want to use it some more. For now, if you want to
uninstall it, you should feel free, and demand an explanation from
anything that breaks as a result.

--
 \        "I have one rule to live by: Don't make it worse."  -- Hazel |
  `\                                                          Woodcock |