[*SPAM*] Python open proxy honeypot

Tim Williams tdw at tdw.net
Tue Jun 13 05:46:16 EDT 2006

On 13/06/06, Alex Reinhart <alexreinhart at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Is running Python's built-in smtpd, pretending to accept and forward all
> messages, enough to get me noticed by a spammer, or do I have to do
> something else to "advertise" my script as an open proxy?

This will get you noticed by crawlers that scan the Internet looking
for SMTP open-relays on port 25,  its not an open-proxy :):)

This will work as planned,  but you should also have some email
addresses using this server for a full range of spam hits.   A single
domain is cheap and you can use it just for incoming spam - seed a few
addresses around the internet and wait

Things you should be aware of:

a) You may be breaking your ISP's T&Cs and AUPs

b) your ISP connection must have port 25 open

c) Be prepared for potentially huge numbers of connections in
intermittent but sustained batches which may make your connection
unusable.

d) point c might get you noticed in relation to point a.

HTH :)