[*SPAM*] Python open proxy honeypot

Alex Reinhart alexreinhart at satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 12:58:15 EDT 2006

Tim Williams wrote:
> On 13/06/06, Alex Reinhart <alexreinhart at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is running Python's built-in smtpd, pretending to accept and forward all
>> messages, enough to get me noticed by a spammer, or do I have to do
>> something else to "advertise" my script as an open proxy?
>
> This will get you noticed by crawlers that scan the Internet looking
> for SMTP open-relays on port 25,  its not an open-proxy :):)

Yeah, I just realized that. What would I do to act as an open proxy as well?

> This will work as planned,  but you should also have some email
> addresses using this server for a full range of spam hits.   A single
> domain is cheap and you can use it just for incoming spam - seed a few
> addresses around the internet and wait
>
> Things you should be aware of:
>
> a) You may be breaking your ISP's T&Cs and AUPs
I plan on asking them first - it's not actually a proxy/relay, just
pretending to be one.

> b) your ISP connection must have port 25 open
They use SMTP for their mailservers, so I assume they do.

> c) Be prepared for potentially huge numbers of connections in
> intermittent but sustained batches which may make your connection
> unusable.
I'm hoping to host it on another server, preferably with a firewall to
keep things from getting too hairy.

Thanks.