[*SPAM*] Python open proxy honeypot

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Tue Jun 13 19:12:05 EDT 2006

Alex Reinhart wrote:
> Yeah, I just realized that. What would I do to act as an open proxy as well?

emulate the Apache proxy capability, especially the reverse proxy.

more seriously, what you need to do is from common proxy and web server
ports, accept proxy requests with a destination port number of 25 and
pretend to relay them.  at least, that was the behavior I saw on a
misconfigured Apache web server proxy.

for what it's worth, I advocate abandoning Apache as it is too complex
to configure correctly quickly.  This is especially true of the built-in
proxy.  For what it's worth, folks should consider using alternatives
like pound (very good secure proxy) and Cherokee (my favorite).  But
seriously, any web server except IIS is better than Apache.  Find one
that works for your application and use it.

---eric