new python icons for windows

and-google at doxdesk.com and-google at doxdesk.com
Wed Jun 21 10:47:11 EDT 2006

Istvan Albert wrote:

> But these new icons are too large, too blocky and too pastel.

Hooray! Glad to see *someone* doesn't like 'em, I'll expect a few more
when b1 hits. :-)

Although I can't really see 'large', 'blocky' or 'pastel'... they're
the same size and shape as other Windows document icons, and I
personally find the Python logo colours quite striking. If it's the
new-fangled shadey gradienty kind of nonsense you don't like, you could
also try the low-colour versions. eg. ICOs compiled with only 16-colour
and 16/32 sizes:

  http://doxdesk.com/file/software/py/pyicons-tiny.zip

> For example it resembles the icon for text files.

This is intentional: to make it obvious that .py files are the
readable, editable scripts, contrasting with .pyc's binary gunk -
something that wasn't 100% clear before. With the obviousness of the
Python-plus and the strong difference between the white and black base
document icons, squinting shouldn't really be necessary IMO.

> can someone point me to a page/link that contains the old icons?

Sure,

  http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release24-maint/PC/py.ico
  http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release24-maint/PC/pyc.ico

http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release24-maint/PC/pycon.ico