wxPython: Should you use a master sizer object?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat Jun 10 15:28:24 EDT 2006

John Salerno wrote:
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>>John Salerno wrote:
>>
>>>Sorry for posting here again. I tried the wxPython list but I'm not sure
>>>I'm sending to the right email address! It bounced back. Besides, your
>>>opinions are too good to pass up. ;)
>>>
>>>My question was:
>>>
>>>I was wondering, is it recommended to always have a top-level sizer in
>>>which you place all other sizers, or is it acceptable to have mulitple
>>>sizers that are not grouped together?
>>
>>You should definitely create a master sizer, and then add sub-sizers to it.
>

> Thanks. Also, I just found out that a Frame can't have more than one
> sizer in it, meaning if you need multiple sizers you *have* to create a
> master sizer first to nest the others. Now it's just a matter of
> figuring out *how* to use them! I don't want to fall into the trap of
> using them the way you can use the <table> element to lay out a form in
> HTML...

There doesn't seem to be any really usable material to help beginners. A
recursive design approach seems best, breaking down each grouping, but I
have sometimes found it difficult to adapt a design to changes.

Although I'm a big fan of open source I must confess that to solve this
problem I eventually bought a copy of wxDesigner, which while not
perfect does help quite a lot, and allows cut/copy and paste of design
elements.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com