EuroPython 2006 and Py3.0

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Fri Jul 14 13:12:28 EDT 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 18:45:07 +0200,
	Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> bearophileHUGS at lycos.com wrote:
>
>> This attitude may have some downsides. The Python developers don't know
>> everything, other people can have some experience of computer languages
>> too.
>
> "some experience of computer languages" != "experience of language
> design and implementation"
>
> as long as most of the traffic on py3k is bikeshed stuff and hyper-
> generalizations, most people who do hard stuff will spend their time
> elsewhere.

Paul Prescod once wrote in c.l.py:

      If Python strays into trying to be something completely new it will
      fail, like Scheme, K and Smalltalk. There are both technical and
      sociological reasons for this. If you stray too far technically, you
      make mistakes: either you make modelling mistakes because you don't
      have an underlying logical model (i.e. C++ inheritance) or you make
      interface mistakes because you don't understand how your new paradigm
      will be used by real programmers.

      Let research languages innovate. Python integrates.

If Python 3000 turns into a let's-try-all-sorts-of-goofy-new-ideas
language, at least some of those ideas will turn out to have been
mistakes, and then we'll need a Python 3000++ to clean things up.

--amk