EuroPython 2006 and Py3.0

bearophileHUGS at lycos.com bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Jul 14 11:06:39 EDT 2006

Steve Holden:
> The real problems with the Py3k list seem to be associated with a number
> of people who, despite having had little apparent connection to the
> language until now, have joined the list and started making
> inappropriate suggestions, which then have to be (patiently) rejected.

This attitude may have some downsides. The Python developers don't know
everything, other people can have some experience of computer languages
too. So people coming from different languages, like Erlang, Ruby,
Dylan, Io, CommonLisp, C#, Haskell, and Lua can give useful suggestions
to update and 'improve' Python. Often their suggestions can be unfit
for Python, but if you don't waste a little of time evaluating their
ideas, you lose some possibilities. Python 3.0 isn't just an occasion
to remove some rust and obsolete things from Python, but a way to
invent and adopt different ideas too. So I think wasting some time in
that way is positive for Py 3.0 devs.

Bye,
bearophile