New Python.org website ?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jan 19 12:59:14 EST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:34:21 +0100,
	Gerhard Häring <gh at ghaering.de> wrote:
> If I see this correctly, Fredrik would volonteer to (help) implement
> something that imports the current python.org content into a Wiki.

First question I have: which wiki?  Does this go into the existing
Python wiki, or into a fresh new wiki that contains *only*
Python.org-destined content?

Second question: how do we maintain the sidebar links in a wiki?
(i.e. the list of links in the blue sidebar on the existing
www.python.org).  These links vary from directory to directory on the
site.  In the file-based system, there's a file in every directory
that lists the links, and an individual .ht file can supply its own
list of links that's added in on top of the directory-wide links.  One
minor refinement: the link to the current page is greyed out in the
sidebar.

Are there existing Wiki-based sites that do this sort of sidebar
thing?

> MoinMoin 1.5 sounds perfect for the wiki. It supports ReST if we want
> that, and now also a JavaScript-GUI based WYSIWYG editor.

Ah... sounds like it's time to upgrade the wiki software on python.org.

--amk