New Python.org website ?

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Jan 19 14:24:45 EST 2006

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:20:37 +0100,
	Fredrik Lundh <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:
> I'd prefer a separate wiki (at least initially).  Do we have enough
> admin resources to set up an 1.5 instance ?

I doubt it's practical to run 1.3 alongside 1.5.  python.org uses
mod_python, so unless the MoinMoin developers changed their software's
package name from 'MoinMoin' to something version specific like
'MoinMoin15', I think the Apache processes would get confused.

Easier just to upgrade all the existing Wikis to 1.5, I think.  I'll
raise a flag about this; maybe it can get done over the weekend.

>> Second question: how do we maintain the sidebar links in a wiki?
>> (i.e. the list of links in the blue sidebar on the existing
>> www.python.org).  These links vary from directory to directory on the
>> site.  In the file-based system, there's a file in every directory
>> that lists the links, and an individual .ht file can supply its own
>> list of links that's added in on top of the directory-wide links.  One
>> minor refinement: the link to the current page is greyed out in the
>> sidebar.
>
> The renderer/template engine can deal with that.

Um... yeah, but how?  We can group pages into folders ('Doc/whatever',
'SuccessStories/Whatever'), and then say it'll retrieve 'Doc/Sidebar'
for the sidebar.  But how could a particular page add more stuff to
the sidebar?  Maybe some kind of '#sidebar-links' directive that pulls
in a third wiki page, or maybe a separate page that associates page
titles with sidebars.

--amk