[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Wed Jan 4 13:36:14 EST 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> Franz GEIGER wrote:
>
>> When I call the Python interpreter, the Python 2.4.1 version is called,
>> because I installed it weeks ago from source by myself. That means the
>> symlink /usr/bin/python points to 2.4. Fine.
>>
>> Now, when I install Python packages using the convenient Synaptic Package
>> Manager, everything goes into the 2.3-directory-tree. How can I change
>> that?
>
> You can't, and shouldn't. However, most packages come with a
> python-2.4-version. Install these. That of course means you need the
> python-2.4 package installed using debian, not by yourself.

Agreed, so I took another Linux box to make sure to not make "custom
version" mistakes.

Same here. Yes, there are 2.4-packages of all kind. But there's also a
dependency package "python" telling the whole box that Python is 2.3.5. And
when I want to install wxWidgets into Python 2.4, I am told that it depends
on Python 2.3.

I guess I'll copy the appropriate directories into my 2.4.-tree as suggested
by Heiko...

> Regards,
>
> Diez

Many thanks and kind regards