[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Thu Jan 5 09:33:56 EST 2006

> Agreed, so I took another Linux box to make sure to not make "custom
> version" mistakes.
>
> Same here. Yes, there are 2.4-packages of all kind. But there's also a
> dependency package "python" telling the whole box that Python is 2.3.5.
> And when I want to install wxWidgets into Python 2.4, I am told that it
> depends on Python 2.3.

sudo apt-get install python-wxgtk2.6

Which depends on python2.4

You do know aptitude, which displays dependend packages so that you can
browse from python2.4 through the dependand packages and find e.g. wx in
the correct version?

And I repeat: Copying will lead to severe problems! You're talking about
binary extensions here, that depend on a specific libpython.

Diez