[OT] How can I change Debian's default Python version?

Heiko Wundram modelnine at bit-bukket.org
Wed Jan 4 05:37:49 EST 2006

Franz GEIGER wrote:
> Now, when I install Python packages using the convenient Synaptic Package
> Manager, everything goes into the 2.3-directory-tree. How can I change
> that?

Simply put: not at all.

Less simply put: packages compiled for the in-tree version of Python _might_
be binary compatible with the Python you compiled yourself, but I wouldn't
bet on that. Source packages are of course compatible, and you'd just have
to manually copy these over to the 2.4-tree.

(Sym-)Linking the 2.3 site-packages to 2.4 site-packages directory might
also be something you could do, but this would probably open up a lot more
cans of worms than it's supposed to cure.

--- Heiko.