Yet another GUI toolkit question...

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Fri Feb 10 19:16:36 EST 2006

...with a twist.

I'm undertaking my first semi-substantial Python GUI application after a
long time dabbling with the language.

I'm fairly experienced with Tcl/Tk, so Tkinter seems the obvious choice
to reduce my Python learning curve. However, my Tcl applications
typically make use of a *lot* of extensions to the core widget set, such
as BWidgets, tablelist, and Tile.

I've found minimal Tkinter wrappers for all of these extensions, but
they are all labelled "experimental," lightly documented at best, and
little-used (as far as I can tell) by Python developers.

So: my question is, would it be more productive for me to wrestle with
these extensions when there doesn't seem to be much constituency for
their use, or would it be better/faster/more efficient for me to start
scaling the wxPython mountain?

For what it's worth, my application has to run on OS X and Windows, and
will be commercial, so this combination of requirements rules out
PyGTK/PyQt/just about every other cross-platform GUI toolkit.

Advice, especially from those Tkinter devs who look beyond the core
widget set for their apps, is appreciated!

--
Kevin Walzer
iReveal: File Search Tool