Yet another GUI toolkit question...

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 10:17:20 EST 2006

On 2/10/06, Kevin Walzer <sw at wordtech-software.com> wrote:

> I'm undertaking my first semi-substantial Python GUI application after a
> long time dabbling with the language.

> So: my question is, would it be more productive for me to wrestle with
> these extensions when there doesn't seem to be much constituency for
> their use, or would it be better/faster/more efficient for me to start
> scaling the wxPython mountain?

If you're going cross-platform, then wxPython is the toolkit to use.
It looks and works correctly on all platforms.

I worked with wxPython for a couple of years, and constantly struggled
with the ugle, C++ style syntax, and then discovered Dabo. Dabo is a
full 3-tier application framework, and its UI tier wraps wxPython. So
while you're using wxPython when you use dabo.ui, you're writing
clean, Pythonic code. I found that after playing around with Dabo for
a little bit, I could write apps that worked without constantly going
to the docs to look up some obscure constant or event name. The
authors are also extremely helpful, so if write your app using Dabo,
I'm sure that you'll have tons of support.

http://dabodev.com

--

# p.d.