Newbie question: Multiple installations of Python on Windows machines

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Feb 22 16:30:44 EST 2006

Don Taylor wrote:
> I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.
>
> There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
> unless I have Python 2.3.x installed.  (The only way that I can install
> this is to use it's .exe installer)
>
> Can I install two versions of Python on Windows,

Yes, no problem.  I have python 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 installed at the same time.

> and if so is there
> something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
> right time?  (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

You should install them in different directories, of course.
The lastest one installed will be the 'default' python, and windows file associations
will use this one.

To use the other versions, batch files (for example) work fine.

Thomas