Visual Report Editor

Michele Petrazzo michele.petrazzo at TOGLIunipex.it
Thu Feb 16 09:16:05 EST 2006

Pawel wrote:
> Hello,

Hi Pawel,

> I plan to make Visual Reporting Editior, a new product for
> corporate-class systems. Data will be in XML and in my application,
> designer should be able to make fascinating templates of reports. I
> will use Python and MSVS 2005 Pro.

What are MSVS 2005 Pro ?

> My question is, which libaries will be useful in my job. I plan to
> buy Qt and make visual layer of application using Qt. I'm making
> businessplan soI have to decide which tool will be useful. Is Qt best
> choice, maybe I should buy something different?

Qt has a "strange" license for a graphical toolkit, it is release under
GPL/commercial license, so if you want to include your new Reporting
Editior into a commercial product, you have to pay a license for it.
Different thing is if you use wx or gtk, that has other, more
"permissive" licenses.

I (my company), for our project, has create a "Reporting Editior" based
on wx, following the pySketch tool, but now has about all the code
rewrite. It has some little problems with the auto-resizeable objects
(text only for now), that, into the engine that should compose the page,
not are displayed correctly.

On the other hand has a lot of worker functions, like:
- model-view framework
- object-like develop, so it's simple to add new drawing objects

- xml read and save
- multi-page size (A4, A3, etc...)
- multi-block (head, title, text [more that one], food, end)
- align-resize object
- infinite undo-redo
- image support
- multi-layer (9 layers)
- text block wrap, align right/left/center vertically/horrizontally
- more other...

Now I haven't the mind and the time for solve the problems, but if you
want to complete it, or help me to do it, I'll send you the code, so
after we'll a new -open source (do you like wxWidgets license? [LGPL] )-
*Visual Reporting Editior*

> Pawel

Michele