Newbie question: Multiple installations of Python on Windows machines

Larry Bates larry.bates at websafe.com
Mon Feb 20 19:24:08 EST 2006

Don Taylor wrote:
> I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.
>
> There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
> unless I have Python 2.3.x installed.  (The only way that I can install
> this is to use it's .exe installer)
>
> Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
> something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
> right time?  (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Don.

You can but it is kind of tricky.  You must control the PYTHONPATH environment
variable so that it points to the correct paths for the version of python
you are running.  You also will need to fully qualify the call to run
python (e.g. C:\Python23\python yourprogram.py).

I've had this working but if there is ANY way to run the other program on
another computer I would (so as to not mess up 2.4.2 install).

-Larry