Newbie question: Multiple installations of Python on Windows machines

Fuzzyman fuzzyman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 05:55:04 EST 2006

Don Taylor wrote:
> I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.
>
> There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
> unless I have Python 2.3.x installed.  (The only way that I can install
> this is to use it's .exe installer)
>
> Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
> something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
> right time?  (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
can make it work under Python 2.4.

If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
all with your Python 2.4 install).

   http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

You'll still have to get at the application files though. I have a
VMWare install with Python 2.3 on it, so I may be able to help.

All the best,

Fuzzyman