Password, trust and user notification

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Dec 13 20:12:12 EST 2006

At Wednesday 13/12/2006 21:44, Aidan Steele wrote:

>While what you said is technically correct, I think you misread
>their original question. They want to send email *from* the Gmail
>account *to* the work account. I suggested that he use Gmail's SMTP
>server to send the email.

They were concerned about putting sensitive information (password)
inside the script, in order to connect to Gmail to send the mail notifications.
I say that there is no need to use Gmail smtp services: to send mail
*to* anyone at anywhere.com, you only have to connect to the right SMTP
server for anywhere.com. The *from* email address is irrelevant and
can even be faked.
Of course a spam filter could block such mails, but you have to test it.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL