Password, trust and user notification

placid Bulkan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:38:09 EST 2006

Gabriel Genellina wrote:
> At Wednesday 13/12/2006 21:44, Aidan Steele wrote:
>
> >While what you said is technically correct, I think you misread
> >their original question. They want to send email *from* the Gmail
> >account *to* the work account. I suggested that he use Gmail's SMTP
> >server to send the email.

This is correct.

> They were concerned about putting sensitive information (password)
> inside the script, in order to connect to Gmail to send the mail notifications.
> I say that there is no need to use Gmail smtp services: to send mail
> *to* anyone at anywhere.com, you only have to connect to the right SMTP
> server for anywhere.com. The *from* email address is irrelevant and
> can even be faked.
> Of course a spam filter could block such mails, but you have to test it.

I was concerned that how does the person who will enter her password
trust the script or the developer in that the script will not create an
email containing her details i.e password and send it off to himself?
(See the assumptions i also posted above in my original post)

Is there any other way of notifying the user of events occurring in the
script which will run as a daemon process.

Cheers