evaluating gui modules, any experience on tkinter?

hg hg at nospam.org
Sat Dec 2 14:13:26 EST 2006

krishnakant Mane wrote:

> hello all,
> I seam to have noticed this a bit late but it appears to me that
> tkinter is being used very widely for gui development on all platform?
> is that right?
> since fredric lundh has written a very good introduction to tkinter
> (was that just an intro?), I have got keen interest to know the
> following.  may be fredric himself might put some light on these
> points.
> 1. I seriously don't intend to start a flame war but does tkinter
> stand up to the standards of heavy gui development?  can I have an
> entire mdi application working fine with tkinter?  I know wxpython can
> do it and I have heard enough about pyqt, but tkinter seams to be very
> rich in gui objects.
> 2.  as usual I always look out for accessibility when it comes to gui
> design.  will tkinter be useful for blind people?  I mean, are gui
> apps in tkinter accessible on windows?
> 3.  I don't know if I need any thing else as dependencies on my
> windows machine.  I am using python24 and I did not find any thing
> about installation in the introduction to tkinter.  can some one give
> me the process of installing tkinter and all necessary things?
> 4. is tkinter absolutely compatible with windows gui?  does it call on
> native api for native look and feel?  in that case I think
> accessibility issue is automatically solved.
> I am looking out gui library for some serious application development.
>  one is an erp system and the other is a customer relation management
> system.
> so I am confused between wxpython pyqt and now tkinter.
> out of the 3 I only found qt talking extencively about accessibility,
> but did not find a way to install qt in the first place.  I could not
> compile qt nor did I find any run-time dlls for mingw so that I can
> use it out of the box.
> wxpython is the poorest in documentation and tkinter seams to be best at
> that. please give me some advice.
> thanking all.
> Krishnakant.

Tkinter is fine under *nix and Windows for a large range of applications. I
think it has drawbacks and advantage compared to other toolkits. The major
advantage being bundled with python, and the drawbacks include (I
think) ... look and feel, printing support, imaging, documentation.

Then there are two schools: PyQT and wxPython - both very easy to learn and
production libraries ... I never know whether PyQT is commercial or not
under windows (trollteck changed their QT license I think).

I strongly suggest looking at wxPython - and start with their demo package
which runs also under *nix and windows.

hg