evaluating gui modules, any experience on tkinter?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Dec 2 13:01:08 EST 2006

krishnakant Mane wrote:

> I seam to have noticed this a bit late but it appears to me that
> tkinter is being used very widely for gui development on all platform?
> is that right?

Tkinter is bundled with Python on all platforms that support Tcl/Tk.
As a result there's a low "barrier to entry" to Tkinter programming, so
people tend to use it, at least when they start with GUI development.

> 3.  I don't know if I need any thing else as dependencies on my
> windows machine.  I am using python24 and I did not find any thing
> about installation in the introduction to tkinter.  can some one give
> me the process of installing tkinter and all necessary things?

It's been a long time since I installed Python on Windows, and I think
I used ActivePython:

  http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/

I believe that this package includes Tkinter, so you shouldn't have
to do anything else to install it.

> so I am confused between wxpython pyqt and now tkinter.
> out of the 3 I only found qt talking extencively about accessibility,
> but did not find a way to install qt in the first place.  I could not
> compile qt nor did I find any run-time dlls for mingw so that I can
> use it out of the box.

I believe there should be a package which includes pre-built Qt
libraries as well as source code, all licensed under the GNU GPL.
It may not help you get started with MinGW, though the information
on the download page indicates that the package "will also download
and install the MinGW compiler, if needed".

Take a look at the following page for more information:

  http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows

If you're unable to license your own code under the GNU GPL then
you'll have to look at commercial licenses for Qt and PyQt.

David